Tuesday, August 24, 2010

To many options, not enough decisions

My family and I went out of town this weekend to a friends lake house. While we were sitting around chatting, Jeff (lake house owner/friend) asked me what my plans were. As in "Dayna when are you going to get a job and what kind of job will it be" kind of plans. I gave him the answer I've been giving everyone. I have no idea. As most of you know I quit my job of 10 years at the hospital in May. Lets just say it was time for me to move on. I knew I was going to take the summer off and hang out with my kiddos since it had been 10 years since I had been able to do that. It was the most enjoyable summer I've ever had. However, the kids are back in school and I suppose I should be looking into finding a new job. The problem is I have no interest in doing it, nor do I have a clue what that job should be.

Truly I have very little interest in going back to healthcare. I love the area of labor and delivery, love being a doula, but actually working in a hospital or medical setting has very little appeal to me right now. I have a hard time seeing hospital administrators as anything more than blood sucking, money grubbing whores. Call me crazy but I really don't think I could go into a new hospital with the right attitude. Also I want to work less, as in part time only. It has been made very obvious to me that having a person home more during the week benefits everyone. So the question becomes "What do I want to be now that I'm a grown up?" I am lucky in the fact that I'm not the main bread winner of the family. No really, I understand I'm lucky so please no tirades about how I should be kissing the ground my husband walks on. I GET IT I PROMISE! With that luck comes some freedom to choose what I want and that freedom is overwhelming me. School? Maybe. But only if I can get a history degree and teach high school kids about the Tudor Dynasty or work at The Tower in the summers as a guide. Jewelry? I miss selling jewelry but have no interest in working retail at the holiday season. Try something new? Ok...but what?

So basically what I've decided is nothing. I'm going to pull a Scarlet O'Hara and think about it tomorrow. Today I'm going to enjoy the fact that my house is cleaner than normal, the laundry and grocery shopping are done and I have time to blog about it.

ps....if you have an idea, feel free to shoot it at me. I'm taking all suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, staying at home has been one the greatest blessings of my life (one of the biggest stressers as well, but whatever. Take the bad with the good, right??). I'm so glad you have been able to do that this summer and hang out with your kiddos. You'll never regret it.

    Second of all, have you thought about doing your own little jewelry business? I know there are several out there...Silpada and Premier Jewelry are 2 that come to mind. Also, I don't know how creative you are, but you could make your own jewelry as well, and open an Etsy shop and sell it.

    Whatever you choose to do, you'll be great. Good luck figuring out what you want to be when you grow up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am glad you made the break from the rat race as you are so much better for it , we all saw that in the summer when we came to visit!

    Why not go to college and study the history you love so much and maybe something could come of that....EVEN a summer job at the tower of london, you certianly have the personality to lead a group of tourists around that tower! Knowledge is never a bad thing, so going back to school and learning some more wouldn't be a bad thing to do.

    p.s. you need to find a history course that sends you on location .....eg visit England to learn about it first hand. ;0)

    Whatever you decide you'll do great and we'll support you whatever way we can

    ReplyDelete