Saturday, October 16, 2010

I made a bag.

I've officially been off work for 5 months now. A busy, over scheduled, fantastically wonderful 5 months. I've not been this calm in a long time. I'm busy with things I want to do now instead of cramming everything into the couple of days off I had. I'm busy with fun activities, parent activities, lunches with pals, doula clients, and a long laundry list of things I actually like to do. And, even after all of that, I still have a bit of spare time.

Because of the change in our budget situation I had been looking for ways to save money or at least cut back a bit. When my darling friend McKenna's baby shower came along I decided I'd make her a blanket. So I drug out my sewing machine, which had not seen the light of day in many many many years, and started sewing. I had made a blanket for my daughter when she was just a few weeks old and it became "the blanket". It was the that was toted around until she was almost 6 yrs old. I knew I could trust myself to sew a straight line and know it would hold up over time. After making McKenna's blanket I had some fabric left over so I made a bunch of burp cloths too. It was fun. Can't say they were perfect in anyway but I had a good time making them.

I decided to see what else I could make since there are a million free patterns online. I found a simple bag pattern that I thought I'd try. Low and behold, it worked. I made a bag. Look for yourself. It even has a cute little lining....






Now I know its not a Kate Spade bag or anything, but after making it I realized a bunch of different ways I could change it up, add pockets, etc. What I realized most, however, was that I was kinda proud of myself. Crazy little pat on the back. Maybe quitting my job was the perfect way to find my inner Martha Stewart.

1 comment: